Thursday, August 9, 2012

Conversations

First Library Card, 2012
Nana:  Kaden, clean your room.
Kaden:  Let's compromise, Nana.
Nana:  Kristi, did you hear that?  He has such a great vocabulary!
Kristi (doubting her son's natural genius):  Kaden, what does 'compromise' mean?
Kaden:  It's when you talk a little, and then I talk a little.
Nana:  See! He does know!
Kristi:  And what happens after we're done talking, Kaden?
Kaden:  You do what I want.
***
Science Museum Visit, April 2012

Kaden:  How come I remember lots of things that no one else does?
Kristi:  (thinks- because you have no other things to focus on)  says:  I guess you have a good memory.
Kaden:  I think it's because I'm a lot smarter than you.
Kristi:  That can't be, you see, because you're my son.  You came from me, so where do you think you got your brains from?
Kaden:  Daddy.  Only he would never tell you that.

Sunflowers at their tallest, Spring 2012

***
 After cleaning out the condo and giving away a bunch of random furniture...
Kaden:  why did you give my bed away?
Kristi:  Your bed is right here, in your room.
Kaden:  Do my cousins have beds?
Kristi:  Yes.  (realizing he's worried about where he sleeps in Pennsylvania)  Kaden, we're moving to Pennsylvania.
Kaden:  puzzled look.  I know that.
Kristi:  Well, moving means that we pack up all our stuff and we send it to Pennsylvania, and we get a new house and unpack everything and live there- you, me and Daddy- we live together as a family again, with all our stuff.
Kaden:  I didn't know THAT!

Pirate Sock Puppet, a birthday gift and great airplane entertainment, July 2012.
***
Kristi:  Hey, Kaden, let's plan a "farewell Florida tour" - we'll go to all the places we're going to miss, and hang out a bit, say goodbye, maybe take some pictures.  Sound good?
Kaden:   like where?
Kristi:  Like the beach, or the fire truck playground, or the park near the river... where would you like to go?
Kaden:  Mmm, I get it.  I think I'm going to miss Chuck E Cheese.


Chuck E Cheese.  No, we never mentioned there's another one in Pennsylvania.
How long do you think it'll take him to find out?


1 comment:

bluedaisy said...

I love reading these! So neat the way the young mind works :)

Hope this transition goes smoothly for you guys- it is definitely a big change!