Sunday, January 25, 2009

This blog brought to you by the letter F

See, you thought I forgot about that cool "things I like that start with the letter F" thing that Aimee sent along. Nope- just been thinking about it randomly. But now that I have another deadline looming, it seemed like the right time to take ten and post 'em all up.

1. Florida. Not just because I was born here, and continue to live here, but because I love the sense and scope of this place. Driving through central Florida, I take a curve and whoa- there's a lake, looking like it'd take less than 2 inches of rain to swallow the road. When I've driven across Alligator Alley, with the Everglades stretching into the horizon on either side... When I have a meeting that gets out early, and can make my remaining calls from a fairly empty nearby beach... when we visit a friend and see a flash of fur that we're sure is the elusive panther... it's all magic.

2. Family. Close & Extended. We're blessed to be related to a bunch of caring and interesting folks, and having them as part of our lives makes it better. Even if I don't know some of them all that well. Even if we are scattered across half the nation.

3. Friends. I have childhood / college friends who still keep in touch. It's great to have these folks (mostly women) with whom I can pick up a conversation that's been dropped for a month or more. Who remember some things and forgive others. Friends with whom, after we've 'caught up', we still have a lot of talking to do. It's honestly a great thing- so thanks to all of you!

4. Foreign Countries. I like knowing where they are on a map, trying their foods, learning about their people and histories. And I love getting MAIL from all these neat places (thanks, Postcrossing!).

5. French toast. I don't think it's a health food, and I don't really like eating them alone, but add one slice of french toast to any breakfast and it's just perfect. Especially if it comes with...

6. Fresh fruit (or food in general). There's nothing better than picking an orange and eating it in the same backyard. Or trying a friend's newly ripe papaya. Or an uncle's avocados. Or any homegrown goodies from the...

7. Farmer's Market. There's actually a few in this area, but I love the ones that have actual, local farm stuff. There's at least 2-3 booths at each, and finding purple bell peppers or organic herbs is a really neat way to start the day. I could go twice a week, but have trouble remembering to get there!

8. Football. I have very fond memories of watching football games-- some I saw with my dad on TV, others my folks and I watched my brother play. I also loved our midnight football games in college- even after I lost my contacts in the snow that one night. And in the past few years, watching some family friends take the high school field has been a lot of fun. Can't wait to take Kaden!

9. Florence - I have yet to meet someone with this name whom I haven't liked. My Nana was the first :) and Sister Florence is the latest! All around great Fun...

10. Farina. Thanks to Suze for reminding me- this stuff is awesome! It's like a really sweet, really pureed hot cereal, and I had it all the time when I was a kid.

11. This one' s a bonus- Happy Feast day for St. Francis de Sales!

1 comment:

Aimee said...

All terriFic Faves :)

And your babe is getting cuter all the stinkin' time!