So... when I told the boy to give away all his toys in order to get a "mater truck",
he got busy.
Mine did. I was bluffing at first, and then thought it was a great idea. I was intrigued to see what a one-toy house would do to our daily life. But as we started gathering it all up in bags and boxes, I caught sight of a truck one set of aunt/uncle had given him, a turtle another aunt had given, a plane a cousin had painted, a boat from an uncle, a monkey from a bunch o' cousins, a firetruck from Pop and Grandma, books from other aunts and uncles and Nana... I was reminded how many relatives we have (mostly far flung). I couldn't give this all away.
(Note- much later, my mom asked me why I just didn't pack everything up for a while. Brilliant idea! But I am a rookie parent, still, and one still recovering from a cold at this point. I punted.)
Anyway, we did go through *all* the toys, books and clothes in the house. We came up with 2 diaper boxes and 2 bags of "stuff" that will go to a local abuse center for women and children. And the next night, look what JimDad and Kboy are working on:
It's hard to tell here (we're not noctural, it's tech and lighting issues). But this is a very happy boy, with a fully assembled mater truck wagon, towing another truck behind.
I'm not sure what he learned, exactly, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't what I wanted to teach him. Sigh. Such is life, I suppose. Perhaps I'll be better prepared next time...



1 comment:
He'll remember that he got an awesome Mater truck!! And the fact that he was so willing to give up so much? You are obviously doing something right, in my opinion. You can always pack a few things up and start the rotation at any point- and I'm bad with that too! What a great little guy :)
Post a Comment