Saturday, May 14, 2011

Another Day, another Tri

First of all, let's hear it for middle aged, slightly out of shape women. While we don't currently have any people who fit that description on our team, I was so. very. impressed! by all the women racing in this morning's triathlon.

It was a 400 yard swim in the river, then into transition and off on an 11 mile bike race, and then a 3.1 mile run. Any one of those would tucker me out for the day. Below is Jim after the swim, getting ready to start the biking leg.



It's hard to say if he was happy or not. I'm not sure 'happy' applies during the competition. And while it looks like he's moseying along above, he's not. They have a rule about walking your bike out of the area. Tho' he is making it look easy in the photo, it (competing) looks much different in person.



But the suprising, and very cool, thing about tri's is this: there is such a wide range of competitors and people involved. There's the folks who you'd picture in your head when you say "he's a triathlete" or "she does triathlons". They're the ones who finish in the top 5 or 10 overall. Today's winner was around 54 minutes total, I think. Then there's the folks who LOOK like they should be placing: namebrand gear, special tri-suits, $3000 bikes (yes, you read that right). And then they get on the course, and they're huffing and puffing the whole way. Not that there's anything wrong with that!


There's other folks who are genuinely competitive with the field, despite the lack of fancy gear and clothes. And there's a whole heck of a lot of people who are just aiming for the finish line. Their goal is to complete their first race. To shave a few minutes off their last time. To not panic on the run, or not throw up after the race. Or even just to avoid cute pirates on the course.



But seriously? There's something to be said for all that. I got choked up cheering complete strangers on, because they made eye contact and nodded. I could see how they were "giving it all she's got, Captain." Some said thank you, others smiled. It could've been the annoying duck quacker I was using to accompany my shouts. Or maybe just that we showed up to acknowledge their effort.





Let's face it, folks. Triathlons are exhausting. I get so used to Jim's training and his teammates talking strategy, I forget that. He's done 2 sprint lengths (like this), 1 mini and a few relays. It seems like anyone could just throw on some shoes and get out there. Maybe. But did I mention the firetruck and ambulance came today? Because not everyone who starts finishes. And not a whole lot of us start to begin with.


Which is why I'm so proud of TriDad, who is spurred on each race by a little voice yelling "Go Daddy Go! Go Daddy Go!" The sweat in his eyes, the stitch in his side, the cramps in his legs: none of it stops him from finishing.

3 comments:

bluedaisy said...

Jim is a rock star and I admire his dedication and efforts. I can't even get a quick run into my schedule because I am lacking severely in the motivation required to modify my own behavior...sad but true! Please tell him congratulations :)

Kelsey said...

That is great! I did one small tri in college (and it was row, run, swim) but really can't imagine doing it now! Such a great thing for Kaden to see as well.

Anonymous said...

I just want to say thank you my wonderful wife, who without I could not take the time needed to get out there and train so that I can just focus on that little voice in my head(go daddy go)and make it to the finish line!! Thanks hunny you are a true hero as well, oh and any cheer, annoying duck quack or not makes the race that much easier!!