Friday, March 4, 2011

Quick Takes Friday

1) a planned reunion with college gal pals has been postponed twice due to me being sick. I think it makes it official: this is the Winter We Were Always Sick. Good thing it's ending soon. Did I mention my mom may have shingles?

2) It cracks me up to hear everyone up north talking about how great it is now that the weather is getting warm. Especially because "great" means putting away winter coats and "warm" means 60 degrees. Generally when we hear these terms, we Floridians are a) sweating, b) looking for swimsuits, c) turning up the air or d) all of the above. (Don't worry, it evens out in the summer!)


3) I'm really annoyed by recipes that start off saying how easy it is, and then proceed to mention a double boiler. This happens quite often to me. I'm equally annoyed by "homemade ____" recipes that start off with opening something "instant" and then adding to it.

4) "Life with Kaden" is like living in a musical lately. He sings often, loudly, and sometimes in a foreign language (his own). Sometimes it is PBS theme songs, sometimes ones from school. Tonight, he cracked us up by having Nana put her head on his lap and then singing her a "lullaby": wash your hands, wash your hands, in between, in between, scrub them in the middle, scrub them in the middle, now they're clean! now they're clean!

5) He also likes to pray the dinner prayer. At least 2 times. Then the sign of the cross is repeated about 3 times, with his hands moving all over his head, heart and shoulders. I'm not sure why the repetition, since it's slightly different each time, but it sure is cute.

6) I've been trying NOT to take on additional projects/responsibilities at work, but it hasn't worked so well. I'm drowning again, with more work than work hours. And after one of my most non-productive weeks (you know, when you're TRYING to get things done, but can't because of really good interruptions of things other people legitimately need you to do), I just added another outreach: human trafficking awareness. That is a whole 'nother post, but something that really tugged at my heart, which makes figuring out how to "fit it in" so much better.

7) Between writing 6 & 7, I was just called in to the end of Kaden's bathtime. There was a toddler log in the bath. Jimdad points it out and asks, what do we have to pick it up? Kaden points at it and asks, how did the poop get there? Apparently, none of us are as far advanced in this toilet training thing as we thought!

1 comment:

bluedaisy said...

A toddler log?! That cracked me up & I didn't need context clues to know what you meant ;) I hope your mom is okay--I actually had shingles in high school if you can believe it & they are no picnic! Prayers up for her!! We are excited for some 60 degree weather tomorrow--like, REAL excited! And the sickness? Just keep your house less clean like mine...builds up the immune system (kidding, totally kidding!). Hope you guys are feeling better soon :)