Saturday, January 15, 2011

Kingdoms

This week, I've been struck again by the realization- or maybe the remembrance- of how there are so many different "worlds" in which people live.


For instance, since JimDad has been doing the triathlon stuff, we've become aware of how so many people live, breath and train just to swim, bike and run. And fitness in general- there's an amazing number of "fun" races or competitions that one can enter, like WarriorDash or Muddy Buddy. Or even the Disney Marathon series-- a year ago I didn't know it existed and this year I know of at least 4 who competed (thank you, Facebook).

There's the folks who love gardening, or even have small farms, who know all about when to plant and organic ways to deter pests. There's the folks who love nature, and can spot a silhoutte in the sky and tell you the name and characteristics of that bird.

There's fanatics, too. The NFL ones have season tickets, and jerseys from players currently on the roster. They know where to park at the stadium, and how to tailgate. They might even know stats and salaries and the referees' names.

I know folks in all these categories. They have a certain passion, and knowing details about their domain is as natural as breathing. They are immersed in what they love. They're Masters of their chosen Kingdom, and it expands my world when I'm let into theirs. I learn a bit about their "land" and a bit about them. I appreciate a bit more the vast wildness in the way we were made, in the absolute variedness of our shared World.


And then, every so often, I catch glimpses of kingdoms I forgot about, or I didn't even know were on the map. The "awareness shock" will ripple through my mind until the new kingdom settles in. That, my friends, is a good day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great way to explain or rather discribe someone to someone else, what "kingdom" the live in. That is a very deep and awesome understanding of the Kingdom of God and the many different ways this is brought about in this world!!