Friday, February 8, 2008

Not Exactly Fasting...

Hey friends & fam... I never gave a second thought to being pregnant in Lent... until this past week. Last Friday, a parishioner was talking about eating all the chocolate in the house... so it would be gone for Lent. Doh! I immediately panicked! I don't care all that much about the chocolate right now- but no MEAT?

My superhusband must have caught the panic in my eyes, because after they left, he reminded me that I was exempt. Because of the baby-growing. OH Jenkins! Whew. I did manage to ignore and get over a Starbucks decaf vanilla latte craving on Ash Wednesday. I figured just because I was exempt, didn't mean I should a) go for the luxury and b) flaunt it in front of my co-workers at the church!

And then tonight there's the fish fry at church. But between the types they use and the fact that it's all fried (!) I'm thinking I might just chow down on some tacos before heading out. We'll see. It feels very odd to not have 'rules' apply. Isn't this what we humans dream of? Being above or beyond the stuff everyone else has to do? Sigh.

In any case, I've decided to "fast" from excessive internet use. I'm limiting myself to personal-relationship emails (not newsletters), these posts (cuz they help build our relationship- I hope!) and of course work is exempt. At the parish mission earlier in the week, Fr Jim made an offhand comment- he thought that perhaps the tree of good and evil mentioned in the garden of eden today could be the internet! Unlimited knowledge! It's all right here! But really, all the knowledge in the world (or worldwide web) doesn't save us... it's our faith expressed in love and good works. And I thought- hey, that's me. The one going for the unlimited knowledge. Maybe I should get off the computer (not read another gardening book) and clean out the closet. Or actually garden. We'll see how it goes.

And, I'm taking a page from our friend Suzanne... if anyone has any intentions they'd like us to pray for this Lent (the next 5 weeks), just email us and let us know. We'd be happy to. Peace!

No comments: