Sunday, November 17, 2013

What Holiday is this, again?

I had to laugh out loud when I noticed my last blog post was about Halloween.  Mainly because we seemed to burn out on the holiday fairly early this year.  Is it me, or does it seem like the "getting ready for the holiday" starts sooooooooooooo early, that by the time the actual day/fun times roll around, everyone is like "whew, that's over."

And Thanksgiving is so late this year!  It feels like that.  Anyway, we are studiously ignoring Christmas songs, ads, and decorations... trying to focus on Thanksgiving crafts and games and fun.   I did, however, start "the list" - we usually do *some* crafting for gifts, but I've been hibernating more than usual this year.  So who knows. Maybe we'll get it done, or maybe we'll cut way back again.  I'm not sure we even sent out Christmas cards last year!!  (Anyone remember?)   We'll see.

And a few posts ago, I asked for opinions about Fall Crafts (for Kaden's class party at school)... only to realize this week that I actually am doing GAMES.  Whoops.  So, another reason to spend a few hours on Pinterest.  (Though it is confusing, looking for Turkey games one minute and easy crafts another, lol).  So far, we've come up with Fall Bingo (which I'll probably adapt to include some of their sight words or just letters, because I'm such a nerd)... and pumpkin bowling... and a cooperative version of 'Pin the Tail on the Donkey' - where every kid gets a part of the scarecrow to pin, but we'll still blindfold them before sending them up!  

And!  I realize I need to take more pictures.  Though the new tech toy in the house is an iPad- from work, and I'm trying verra hard to keep it work orientated.   But I have a learning curve (a digital storytelling project is due soon, which app will work? ack!)... and Plants vs. Zombies was too tempting. At least for this week!

So, what holiday are YOU prepping for - or enjoying- right now??

3 comments:

bluedaisy said...

I love the fun side of the holiday season (music and outside lights and parties and fun) but the pressure of hunting for gifts and figuring out what Santa can swing each year is stressful. And I agree that is all feels so rushed! I am a big fan of the time between Christmas and New Years when it feels like you can relax a bit and enjoy the fruits of all the hustle-bustle. I am also a big fan of Christmas Eve which is typically when we invite family over for food and fun. Hope your Thanksgiving games are a hit!

MamaK said...

Yes! I have a love-hate relationship with the gifting part. Mostly, I really love it: the thinking of the people, the choosing an item, finding or crafting it... but then the list of ppl starts to grow and ACK!

This year, Kaden's cousins are doing a swap, so that takes a little pressure off. Though I still want to do "something" small for the kiddos- it can be chocolate or a wee toy/book :)

MamaK said...

ps- love your christmas eve! and ditto on the time between- esp now that we don't travel...