So! Part of Kaden's school work is to count coins. He dumped out his piggy bank, and we're sorting 'quarters, dimes, nickels, pennies'. And then... he finds a foreign coin! We thought it said "20 Franc" but it turned out it was "20 centimes." So, instead of being worth 20 dollars, it was worth 2.5 cents. (Not that it can be used as official money anywhere.) (Except Haiti, maybe.) (Come to think of it, that's probably how we got it.)
Anywho, while I was researching (okay, okay, googling) all this out... Kaden sold the coin to his Nana, for 28 American cents. What a deal. For him, obviously. But I'm sure you knew that.
****
Another day, Kaden was trying to play a computer game (pbskidsgo.com maybe?) and needed some help. He kept asking Nana, and she kept saying she didn't know how to play. He started to get upset. She said, "Honey, look at me. (pause while he looked up). Listen carefully: I don't know how to play that game. We didn't have games on the computer or video games when I was a kid." His hurt look quickly turned to astonishment. "What?" he says, "Why not? Were you too poor?"
The conversation quickly derailed into all the things that hadn't been invented yet, when Nana was a kid (cell phones, microwaves, digital cameras)... I think she blew his mind. I was quite amused when I heard the retelling later... until I realized I'm old enough that most of the things she mentioned hadn't been invented when I was a kid either!! yikes!
No comments:
Post a Comment