Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Quick Takes

1) I can't remember what day of the week this meme should be, but it fits today.


2) Thanks to a NPR story today, I learned how to pronounce 'meme'. rhymes with a "ream" of paper, nothing like someone's grandma. Perhaps I'm not as young and hip as I thought.


3) Kaden is adjusting well to "school"- has a blasted stuffy nose, which means he's currently propped up on a few pillows with a generous dose of vicks. Also means he'll come see us tonight, after he wiggles his way to his favorite pose (face down, half under his pillow) and doesn't breathe easily there.


4) I heart postcrossing, everything about it. The random-ness, the suprise. The happy mailbox feeling. Learning about other people and countries. The cool stamps. Looking at someone's profile and choosing a good card to send. Having a card I sent be marked "favorite". sigh.


5) Skype is also way cool. Kaden sometimes wanders to the computer and says "Uncle Steve? Motorcycle broke. Uncle Jack now? Where'd Tali go?"
6) today in the mail, I received SIX author copies of the publication I wrote last year. Six copies of lesson plans for ONE youth group. Okay, so one looks pretty on the shelf, another goes to Youth Coordinator Extraordinaaire... and I have to pawn four off to unsuspecting friends. "Hey, you work with teens, right? I happen to have a really great resource here, it's like an add on lesson for class... yeah, and I wrote it too, would you like it?"


7) One of the things I always find cool about writing large projects is that I don't remember writing every piece, but I can recognize my "voice" and tell if it's been heavily edited. This is a skill I didn't have in my 20s...


8) I'm thinking of painting both bathrooms. Why not, right? I mean, clearly I have gaps of time waiting for something constructive to appear.


9) I hate our porch roof. It leaks fairly often, but never predictibly. We can't tell when -- or where-- the water will come down. Which means we spent a wad of dough to make a hot, sometimes used porch into a STEAM room.


10) I love starbucks. They've brought back the pumpkin latte, but I refuse to order one until it gets below 80. I don't care what the temperature is in Seattle or New Hampshire, friends. It ain't fall here yet :)

1 comment:

Kelsey said...

3) Our kids are stuffy too, why haven't humans evolved to better handle the petri dishes of work/school?

4) I was just thinking yesterday how very few happy surprises end up in our mailbox - maybe I need to reconsider postcrossing.

9) Sorry about the porch, but HA! on the expensive steam room. It reads funny, even if it doesn't live funny... know what I mean?